Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Visit.....

Friday morning I get up and go to school. There were 17 little people there all wiggling with the EXCITEMENT.OF.CHRISTMAS.....and I was supposed to be teaching them something, but my mind was NOT on teaching anymore than their minds were on learning....It was Traditions Around the World Day and I had each of the 5 classes for a period of time. Each classroom is a different country and we teach about a tradition from that land and then rotate around.

"T" called in the middle of rotation 2 and told me it was not her gallbladder as but a severe kidney infection. IV antibiotics and a stay for the rest of the weekend at the hospital. Relief! Not only for me, but for "T" as well. I did not want her to have to have a major surgery right after being induced AND placing her baby for adoption...at Christmas. It all just seemed too much for one girl to have to bear...

On Saturday we loaded up the Little Prince, a big box of movies and a big bad of snacks and headed out to visit "T". The whole way there I kept trying to pretend that we were on a shopping trip or a vacation.....when really, the PANIC.was SETTING.IN.......

When we got there, Big and Little stayed in the car, cause Big said, "Girls don't like for anyone to see them when they've been in the hospital, especially people that they don't know!" So, I grabbed the bag of newly purchased magazines and headed out....like I knew what I was doing......and PANIC.SETS.IN.......the elevator ride was 1 floor. "Please Lord, don't let this be awkward......" I called her on the phone outside the nurses station...."Hey. I'm here. Do you mind if I come in to see you for a bit?"

Room 8, Labor and Delivery......

I walked in and hugged her. She is lovelier than in her pictures, even with a week long stay in the hospital. She keeps saying, "I cannot believe you drove all this way......" (it's about 4 hours). We had a great conversation. She was excited about the magazines....and she was going to get to go home late Saturday night or Sunday morning....oral antibiotics and rest until the baby comes. That's the protocol for now.

The chaplain comes in and introduces himself. "T" says, "This is the lady who is going to adopt the baby." Not my baby. Not my little girl. Just "the baby". In the adoption world, unattachment to the infant is good news to the ears of the adoptive parents. The chaplain turns to me and says, "Now, you teach school. What grade? Where in Alabama do you live?" Etc.....More good news. She's told him about me.

Before he leaves, he prays a lovely prayer for our girl. He asks for blessings for her two mothers. The one who will give her life and the one who will help her live a wonderful life. It was beautiful.

Big, Little and I drove home......and I for one felt a little more settled. I now have a place in my head when I think about where she will be born. It won't be new and unfamiliar when we go there again in a few short weeks. It was a good trial run.

I actually let my mother take tags off of some little pink bits of fluff. We washed the blankets and outfits. I packed the diaper bag and have it in the car. Today I got the car-seat out of storage. It will do until we get a new one. I picked out a crib online and researched bedding.....I am refusing to tell my family any names at all.....

I am cautiously excited.....and praying the the other shoe does not fall, Princess....praying that it does not fall........

2 comments:

  1. So EXCITED for you. I needed a good cry today-great post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo excited for your day to arrive. I am dreaming of those sugar white beaches and our 6-8 month old girls enjoying them as the big kids enjoy the water and the sand!!!

    ReplyDelete